General Upholstery Care Guidelines
- To avoid fading, keep upholstered furniture away from direct sunlight.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture as often as possible. Even if your upholstery does not see much use, the abrasive action of dirt and dust particles can wear the fibers of your upholstery. For high-use upholstery, it is a good idea to frequently beat the cushions. Then vacuum and rotate them.
- Damp-dust arms and headrest areas with a cleaning solution to prevent body oil accumulation on the upholstery fabric (be sure to follow the manufactures recommendation as to the type of upholstery cleaning solution to use).
- Avoid placing newspapers directly on upholstery, since the ink will accumulate and is difficult to remove.
Never cover your upholstery with dark-colored blankets, sheets, etc., the dyes can rub off onto your upholstery when dry or bleed when wet.
- Avoid the use of dyes, paints, inks and nail polish on or around your upholstery, since these substances can and will alter the color of your upholstery causing a permanent stain or discoloration.
- Never remove cushion covers for dry cleaning or machine washing, even though they have zippers.
- Periodic professional cleaning will keep soil accumulation from marring the beauty of your upholstery.
Everyday Upholstery Care
- Always follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions and use the products they recommend.
- Try to plump and turn cushions daily. Some cushions lose their volume naturally over time. Daily plumping will help them last longer.
- Remove dust weekly with your vacuum’s upholstery or drape attachment. Try to avoid brushing fabric covers, as that can damage the pile.
- Have fixed cover fabric suites professionally cleaned at least once a year.
- Make sure all covers on loose cover suites are cleaned at the same time to prevent color variations.
- If you spill something on your upholstery, blot up the excess immediately. Try to avoid detergents, which may damage the fabric. If you have any doubts about how to care for your furniture and can’t find instructions from the manufacturer, seek the help of upholstery cleaning professionals. Call Upholstery Cleaning Auckland!
Making It Last
- Try to keep your furniture away from direct heat or air conditioning.
- Light affects the color of fabrics and leather; avoid overexposure to sunlight if you don’t want your furniture to fade.
- Open and close recliner mechanisms with care and never force them.
- To keep leather sofas looking new, regularly wipe them with a slightly damp cotton cloth and a mild soap.
- Try not to leave newspapers lying on your suite. The ink can stain the cover.
- If you have a light colored suite, in particular pale leather; also be aware that color from denim jeans or non-color-fast dark clothing can transfer to your furniture and cause discoloration.
Call Upholstery Care & Cleaning Auckland on 09-489 5599
For Emergency Services Phone: Auckland City 376 7007, North Shore 489 7784, West Auckland 837 4545, East Auckland 520 0062 or South Auckland 262 0720