Upholstery Care Cleaning Guidelines
For many homeowners, upholstery has been often equal to a good investment. A simple couch alone can be quite expensive. Likewise, specially designed shades or blinds give an attraction to the home and should be kept in their best condition. In other words, upholstery care.
General Upholstery Care Guidelines
- To avoid fading, keep upholstered furniture away from direct sunlight. Most important upholstery care to remember.
- Vacuum furniture as often as possible. Even if your upholstery does not see much use, the abrasive action of dirt and dust particles can wear the fibers. For high use upholstery, it is a good idea to frequently beat the cushions. Then vacuum and rotate them.
- Damp dust arms and headrest areas with a cleaning solution to prevent body oil accumulation on the upholstery fabric. Be sure to follow the manufactures recommendation as to the type of upholstery cleaning solution to use.
- Avoid placing newspapers directly on upholstery. Since the ink will accumulate and is difficult to remove. Never cover your upholstery with dark colored blankets nor sheets. The dyes can rub off onto your upholstery when dry or bleed when wet.
- Avoid uses of dyes, paints, inks and nail polish on or around your upholstery. Since these substances can and will alter the color of your upholstery. Generally causing a permanent stain or discoloration.
- Never remove cushion covers for dry cleaning or machine washing, even though they have zippers.
- Periodic professional cleaning will keep soil accumulation from marring the beauty of your upholstery.
Everyday Upholstery Care
- Always follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions and use the products they recommend.
- Try to plump and turn cushions daily. Some cushions lose their volume naturally over time. Daily plumping will help them last longer.
- Remove dust weekly with your vacuum’s upholstery or drape attachment. Try to avoid brushing fabric covers as that can damage the pile.
- Have fixed cover fabric suites professionally cleaned at least once a year.
- Make sure all covers on loose cover suites are cleaned at the same time to prevent color variations.
- If you spill something on your upholstery, blot up the excess immediately. Try to avoid detergents which may damage the fabric. If you have any doubts about how to care for your furniture, seek the help of upholstery cleaning professionals.
Making It Last
- Try to keep your furniture away from direct heat or air conditioning.
- Light affects the color of fabrics and leather. Therefore avoid overexposure to sunlight if you don’t want your furniture to fade.
- Open and close recliner mechanisms with care and never force them.
- To keep leather sofas looking new, regularly wipe them with a slightly damp cotton cloth and a mild soap.
- Try not to leave newspapers lying on your suite. The ink can stain the cover.
- If you have a light colored suite be aware that color from denim jeans or non color fast dark clothing can transfer to your furniture. In fact, it can cause discoloration.
Taking care of upholstery should be an integral part of your daily cleaning schedule. If neglected, then there’s a strong possibility that the fabric may get damaged or stained so badly that it might become impossible to fix the issue.
More here: Upholstery and Carpet Cleaning Tips
Call Upholstery Care & Cleaning Auckland on 09-489 5599